MKEC is seeking a qualified candidate to join our team for the position of Transmission and Distribution Line Design Engineer, preferably in our Overland Park, KS office. Working in our Wichita, KS office may be considered depending on work experience and capabilities.
- Perform analysis and calculations necessary to successfully develop T&D line projects.
- Verifying and reviewing right of way requirements.
- Evaluate and develop design drawings depicting conductor sag/tensions, line plan & profile views, bill of materials, structure elevation drawings & details, and associated construction documents.
- Complete detailed calculations and develop reports and estimates.
- Use industry standard design tools including the PLS-CADD software suite (including PLS-POLE) and Osmose O-Calc Pro.
- Routinely interfacing with other MKEC engineering disciplines in the company to successfully design projects with a multi-disciplinary approach.
- Develop design criteria and material specifications appropriate for the designs, integrating client supplied standards and requirements.
- Develop T&D line construction design packages from project start to finish, utilizing their strengths and knowledge to work with others in the company including electrical, structural, civil, mechanical, and survey.
- Development of conceptual/feasibility studies, cost estimating, development of design drawings, site routing, physical design, clearances, material specifications, bill of materials, bid documents, etc.
- Perform QA/QC on other’s work as required, reviewing for completeness and accuracy.
- Manage multiple projects within prescribed time-frames.
- Interactions with vendors and Clients to specify transmission line components.
- Electrical, Mechanical and/or Civil Engineering bachelor’s degree from an ABET accredited program.
- Possess a minimum of 5-7 years of experience in the electric power industry.
- Professional Engineer (PE) license in the State of Kansas preferred.
- Knowledgeable in the modeling, analysis, and design of Transmission and Distribution (T&D) lines & structures, 345kV and below.
- Solid understanding of applicable codes & standards including the National Electrical Safety Code (NESC), Rural Utilities Service (RUS) Standards and other applicable industry standards (e.g. IEEE, ANSI, CSA, IEC, ASCE, etc.).
- Familiarity with other related software tools such as LPILE, MFAD, ArcGIS, ETAP, Milsoft WindMil, SKM Power Tools, etc. is a plus.
- Skilled in the design of wood, laminated and steel structures.
- Adept at using AutoCAD.
- Experience with Microsoft Office.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Candidates must be self-motivated, highly organized and able to handle multiple projects and tasks while working in a team environment.
- Occasional travel for site visits and client meetings may be required.
MKEC offers a competitive compensation package in addition to the following benefits:
- Group Health Plan
- Dental Plan
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Holiday Pay
- Disability Insurance – Short & Long-Term
- Life Insurance / AD&D
- Flex Spending Account
- 401k Retirement Plan
- Profit Sharing Pension
- YMCA Reduced Membership
- YMCA Wellness Coach
MKEC is an Equal Opportunity Employer